Contra Costa County has a local chapter of special districts which is affiliated with the state-wide organization of the California Special Districts Association.
Contra Costa Water District
Phone: (925) 688-8024
Mt. View Sanitary District
Phone: (925) 228-5635
Phone: (925) 570-8830
Dublin San Ramon Services District
Phone: (925) 828-0515
Suzette Lee Ann Crayton
Central Contra Costa Sanitary District
Phone: (925) 229-7300
CSDA Public Affairs Field Coordinator:
Phone: (530) 902-3932
- April 17, 2017
Guest Speaker: TBA
Member District Highlight: TBA
The Chapter normally meets from 10:00 AM – 12:30 PM at the Central Contra Costa Sanitary District – Come at 9:30AM for a meet and greet opportunity to network. Refreshments will be available.
Address: 5019 Imhoff Place, Martinez 94553 (See The Map Below)
Mark your calendars for our future chapter meeting dates:
- April 17, 2017
- July 17, 2017
- October 16, 2017
- Fall 2016
- Summer 2016
- Spring 2016
- Fall 2015
- Summer 2015
- Spring 2015
- Fall 2014
- Summer 2014
- Spring 2014
- Fall 2013
- Summer 2013
- Spring 2013
- Fall 2012
- Summer 2012
- Spring 2012
- Fall 2011
- Spring/Summer 2011
- Fall 2010
The Contra Costa Chapter was named the CSDA Chapter of the Year for 2016
Wells Fargo Bank
Dale regularly attends our Contra Costa Special District Association meetings and has recently helped us to establish a new checking & savings account for the chapter.
As an Industry Specialist, Dale manages the banking relationships for Non-Profit Organizations and for Government and Public Agencies. Dale’s goal is to make banking and finance the easy part of doing our jobs.
Dale R. Barton
Wells Fargo Bank, N.A.
333 Market Street, 16th Floor
San Francisco, CA 94105
About the Association
The Contra Costa Special District Association (CCSDA) was formed in 1993. The purpose is to promote the efficient, economical and responsive public services offered by the independent special districts in Contra Costa County – each independent special district is governed by a locally elected board of directors. The Contra Costa County Chapter is affiliated with the state-wide organization of the California Special Districts Association (CSDA).
The CCSDA is comprised of special districts that represented by 49 independent special districts providing a wide variety of cost-effective community services; 44 are governed by elected Board of Directors and 5 are governed by appointed Board of Directors. Some of these services include: providing drinking and irrigation water, fire protection, flood control, operations of parks and recreational services, conservation of natural resources, vector control and wastewater collection, treatment and reuse.
CCSDA liaises with representatives from other partner organizations such as CSDA, LAFCO and other elected officials at the local, regional, and state levels on issues of importance to special districts.
CSDA Affiliation Agreement
For the past several years, CSDA has been evaluating the concept of a formalized Chapter Affiliation Agreement between the State Association and Chapters. Contra Costa Chapter was the first chapter to sign and return the CSDA Affiliation Agreement! At the July 16, 2012 the chapter voted unanimously to approve the affiliation agreement.
The purpose of an affiliation agreement is to clearly define the relationship between the Association and local special district groups, and clarify expectations and obligations. From a risk management perspective, the agreement clearly outlines the level of liability for both parties. It would also protect the CSDA logo and brand.
Chapters were encouraged to sign the agreement if they wanted use of the CSDA name and logo. By signing chapters can receive enhanced access to CSDA resources.
Get to Know a District in Our Chapter
Contra Costa County has a local chapter of special districts which is affiliated with the state-wide organization of the California Special Districts Association. In Contra Costa County, there are 49 independent special districts providing a wide variety of cost-effective community services; 44 are governed by elected board of directors and 5 are governed by appointed board of directors.
Alamo-Lafayette Cemetery District
ALCD provides cemetery operations and maintenance services to the Alamo Cemetery and Lafayette Cemetery. The boundaries of ALCD include portions of various incorporated areas, including the southwestern portion of the City of Walnut Creek, the majority of the City of Lafayette and the Town of Danville, the eastern portion of the City of San Ramon, and the unincorporated communities of Alamo, Blackhawk, Diablo, and a portion of the unincorporated community of Walden (in the area of Contra Costa Centre north of Walnut Creek). The District has a boundary area of approximately 84 square miles, and serves a population of approximately 162,700.
The Alamo Cemetery is located at 130 El Portal, in the Town of Danville. There are approximately 1,400 occupied plots at the cemetery. The cemetery has reached capacity for inground burials; however, niches are available for cremated remains. The District reported that there were 18 niches available for purchase, as of November 2009. The District plans to add 370 new niches at the cemetery in FY 09-10. Once these niches are added, the cemetery will have capacity for at least 15 years based on recent niche placement rates and projected population growth.47
The Lafayette Cemetery is located at 3285 Mount Diablo Boulevard, in the City of Lafayette. There are approximately 2,200 occupied plots at the cemetery. The District reported that there were 500 regular plots and 12 niches available for purchase, as of November 2009. The District plans to add 160 new niches at the cemetery in FY 09-10. With the additional niches at the cemetery, the facility will have capacity for at least eight years of niche placements, and at least 18 years of single body in-ground burials, based on recent niche placement rates and projected population growth. It should be noted that these capacity estimates are highly conservative, because if customers opt for in-ground cremation burial (as opposed to an in-ground full body burial), up to six urns can be buried in a single plot, significantly extending the usable life of the cemetery.
No short-term capacity issues were identified for ALCD, assuming that planned additions of niches are completed in FY 09-10. The District has taken a proactive approach in expanding capacity by continuing to add interment niches at both cemetery facilities as the number of available in-ground burial lots have decreased. Because niches can be constructed vertically along walls and walkways, and because a single niche can accommodate up to two urns, much higher densities can be achieved with cremation interments than traditional full body in-ground burials. It is important, however, that the District plan for long-term facility needs, including acquiring and developing new cemetery facilities. Public cemetery districts have the legal responsibility to continue providing cemetery services by obtaining and developing more land as existing facilities reach capacity. ALCD reported that adding niches is the only method of increasing capacity currently available to the district, due to the high cost of land within the district, and limited finances.
Ambrose Recreation and Park District
Ambrose Recreation and Park District (ARPD) provides recreation and park services to the unincorporated community of Bay Point and to a portion of the western City of Pittsburg area. ARPD provides recreation, parks, youth and adult programs, senior nutrition, after school programming, activities, holiday happenings, classes and special events for the Bay Point community and surrounding area.
ARPD was formed on September 15, 1946 as an independent special district.60 The District was
formed to provide recreation and park services to the Ambrose Park and Ambrose Community Center, in the unincorporated community of Bay Point.
At the time the district was formed it included only one park site, Ambrose Park, located south of Highway 4 off Bailey Road. Since 1946 the park district has acquired and developed three additional parks, Anuta Park on Willow Pass Road at Solano Avenue; and a mini park on Alves Lane. We also acquired and renovated the Ambrose Elementary School which is now the Ambrose Community Center on Willow Pass Road.
The District’s boundary is located entirely within Contra Costa County, extending south from
the Contra Costa-Solano county line to the northeastern city limits of the City of Concord, including a portion of the City of Pittsburg and the unincorporated community of Bay Point. The boundaries encompass approximately 9.3 square miles, or approximately 5,950 acres.
Byron-Brentwood-Knightsen Union Cemetery District
The Byron-Brentwood-Knightsen Union Cemetery District (BBKUCD) provides cemetery operations and maintenance services to the Union Cemetery. The boundaries of BBKUCD include the unincorporated communities of Byron, Knightsen, Discovery Bay, Bethel Island, the eastern portion of Morgan Territory, the City of Brentwood, the eastern portion of the City of Oakley (east of Sellers Avenue), and various Delta islands. The District has a boundary area of approximately 203 square miles, and serves a population of approximately 75,000.
The Byron-Brentwood-Knightsen Union Cemetery District is a property tax and fee-supported organization that provides efficient and dignified burial services; year-round maintenance; and preservation of interment plots. (Interments are restricted to residents and taxpayers of the cemetery district boundaries and their immediate family members).
In 1878, the Byron-Brentwood-Knightsen Union Cemetery Association was formed. It was governed by a seven-man Board of Directors, who was appointed at large from throughout the district.
1928 – Fifty years later, the residents and taxpayers of the area voted to create a government agency (Special District) to run the cemetery under the Public Cemetery Act of 1909. This was to insure a financial basis for year-round operation, as there were, on average, only 12 funerals per year. The District is governed by a Board of Trustees under the State Health & Safety code section 900 and following. Traditionally there has been one Trustee from each of the three primary communities, though legally the Trustees are considered “at large”.
Central Contra Costa Sanitary District
In the 1940s, central Contra Costa County was a rural area of farms, orchards and a few small towns. With the end of World War II, a building boom began and so did the population of Contra Costa County.
This ultimately resulted in a sanitation crisis with most of the county depending on septic systems, often inefficient due to the area’s heavy adobe clay soil. At the time, State health authorities considered the polluted conditions arising from those septic tanks to be among the worst in California.
With septic tanks overflowing and waterborne diseases such as typhoid becoming a potential threat, civic leaders rallied public support for a solution. In an election held on June 24, 1946, a proposal to form a sanitary district for areas of central Contra Costa County was approved. On July 15, 1946, the County Board of Supervisors passed a resolution officially creating the Central Contra Costa Sanitary District (CCCSD).
Within 26 months, CCCSD’s newly constructed main sewer trunk line and treatment plant were operational. At that time, CCCSD’s service area population was 15,000; the treatment plant’s capacity was 4.5 million gallons per day; and the CCCSD’s collection system consisted of 50 miles of sewer pipe.
Enormous changes have occurred since the District’s beginnings in 1946 as a small agency serving a rural area……
Contra Costa Mosquito & Vector Control District
Contra Costa County encompasses some of the most diverse environments found in one area. This wide range of environments makes our county one of the most desirable places to live in Northern California. The Contra Costa Mosquito and Vector Control District plays a vital role in maintaining this environment while protecting the residents from insects and animals that can carry disease. The District helps to ensure Contra Costa County remains a great place to live, where people can enjoy life outdoors.
The citizens of Contra Costa County, together with several waterfront industries, formed a committee in 1926 to address the need for mosquito control. In 1926, Noble Stover responded to requests from Contra Costa County and directed – first operations of Contra Costa Mosquito Abatement District #1 (CCMAD #1). The purpose of the District was to control marsh mosquitoes in north central Contra Costa County. CCMAD #1 was formed and work began on April 15. 1927. The District. With two employees, began various engineering projects near the cities of Martinez, Concord, and Pittsburg. Much of the work was contracted out to dredging and construction companies. Mr. Stover was a pioneer in drainage and engineering methods, which were his primary approaches to controlling salt marsh mosquitoes. Many of those early projects still exist and are functional now more than 80 years later. Noble Stover served as manager/engineer for CCMAD #1 until his death on September 17, 1935. Ernest Campbell, who had worked for the District since its conception, was appointed manager/engineer by the Board of Trustees upon the death of Noble Stover.
Until 1941 the District’s jurisdiction only covered the waterfront and marsh areas from Martinez to Antioch. On November 25, 1941 the communities of Saranap, Danville, and the City of Walnut Creek petitioned the CCMAD#1 Board of Trustees, requesting annexation into the District. Annexation took place On December 19, 1941. In November 1943, CCMAD #1 annexed the area comprising – Lafayette and Orinda School Districts upon their request. Oak Grove School District was annexed in July 1946 upon their request.
Contra Costa Resource Conservation District (CCRCD)
The Contra Costa Resource Conservation District (CCRCD) was formed in 1941. Its service area is consistent with the political boundaries of Contra Costa County and covers 516,191 acres. CCRCD is one of California’s 103 Resource Conservation Districts.
The Contra Costa RCD is governed by a voluntary Board of Directors appointed by the County Board of Supervisors and regulated under Division 9 of the California Public Resources Code.
Resource Conservation Districts (RCDs), once known as Soil Conservation Districts, are “special districts” of the state of California, set up under California law to be locally governed agencies with their own locally appointed, independent boards of directors.
RCDs are empowered to conserve resources within their districts by implementing projects on public and private lands and to educate landowners and the public about resource conservation. Beyond this, RCD are given the right to form associations to coordinate resource conservation efforts on a larger level. The core functions of a district revolve around its right to use diverse means to further resource conservation within their districts
Contra Costa Water District
Contra Costa County Water District (CCWD) was formed in 1936 (“County” was dropped from name in 1981) CCWD is a legal entity to contract, purchase, and distribute water provided by United States Bureau of Reclamation.
For its first 25 years, the District dealt with untreated water only, by 1950s, water quality and costs were of a growing concern to residents and treated water service began in 1961. The California Water Service Company was purchased in 1961, at this time the District formed its own treated water division.
Contra Loma Reservoir was built in Antioch in 1965-67 to provide peaking supply for system reliability and emergency storage.
The Ralph D. Bollman Water Treatment Plant was built in Concord 1966-68 and upgraded in 1986 & 1999. The plant uses Ozone primary disinfectant and has a capacity of 75 mgd.
Voters Approved Los Vaqueros reservoir in 1988.
CCWD has 778 miles of pipelines, 40 storage reservoirs, 31 pump stations, 59,947 connections, utilizes 336 employees, serving a population of 500,000.
Crockett Community Services District
The Crockett Community Services District (CCSD) was formed in 2006 through the reorganization of three agencies: Crockett-Valona Sanitary District, County Sanitation District No. 5 (Port Costa), and County Service Area P-1. CCSD serves two separate and distinct communities – Crockett and Port Costa – and is authorized to provide the following services:
- wastewater collection, treatment, and disposal
- public recreation
- street lighting
- landscape maintenance
- graffiti abatement
- library buildings
This section focuses on the District’s wastewater services; the District’s other services are reviewed in the sub regional MSR for cities and special districts in west Contra Costa County.
Delta Diablo Sanitation District
Delta Diablo Sanitation District was originally formed in 1955 to protect the health of the public and the environment by collecting and effectively treating wastewater. The existing regional wastewater treatment facility was completed in 1982. The District’s East Contra Costa County service area of Antioch, Bay Point and Pittsburg is 42 square miles with a population approaching 190,000.
In 2001, DDSD started its recycled water program in an effort to help protect the state’s valuable and limited drinking water supply. Recycled water is used at two nearby power generating plants and for landscape irrigation.
The District operates the Delta Household Hazardous Waste Collection Facility at 2500 Pittsburg-Antioch Highway, between Loveridge and Somersville Roads.
Diablo Water District
Diablo Water District is a self-governing local public agency created on May 7, 1953, under the County Water District Law of California. The District is governed by an elected five-member Board of Directors.
The District, with a staff of 14 full-time employees, obtains treats and supplies water for about 28,000 people and the parks, schools and businesses throughout a 21-square-mile area consisting of Oakley, Cypress Corridor and Hotchkis Tract, as well as Summer Lakes, and portions of Bethel Island and Knightsen.
The Diablo Water District (DWD) was formed in 1953 as the Oakley Water District. The District now serves an area of approximately 17 square miles, including the City of Oakley and unincorporated areas such as the Hotchkiss Tract, East Cypress Corridor Specific Plan Area, and Summer Lakes development; the Town of Knightsen; and certain communities on Bethel Island including Delta Coves. The District is bounded by the San Joaquin River to the north, the City of Antioch to the west, the City of Brentwood to the south, and unincorporated area to the east.
The District’s current Sphere of Influence (SOI) encompasses an additional 3.5 square miles and
includes area adjacent to the District’s southern and eastern boundaries and the Veale Tract to the southeast. The District primarily supplies treated water for domestic use and some non-potable water for park and landscape irrigation. DWD’s sources of water supply are untreated water from the Central Valley Project (CVP) purchased from the Contra Costa Water District (CCWD) and groundwater extracted from the San Joaquin Valley Basin. The surface water is conveyed through the Contra Costa Canal and treated at the Randall-Bold Water Treatment Plant (RBWTP) in Oakley. The RBWTP is jointly owned by DWD and CCWD. The plant is managed and operated by CCWD.
Dublin San Ramon Services District
The Dublin San Ramon Services District traces its beginning back to April 1953 with the creation of the Parks Community Services District. At that time the District was formed to secure use of the Camp Parks sewer ponds in Pleasanton. Septic tanks were failing in what was then rural, unincorporated county land, and local residents hoped to replace them with a new sewage treatment system. The ponds, however, were never acquired and several years would pass before the District was formally launched.
Early in 1960 Alemeda and Contra Costa counties required that a public agency be in place to furnish water, sewage treatment, trash collection and fire protection. That year the District was re-activated to set up these municipal services, and it was given a new name-the Valley Community Services District (VCSD).
In spring 1961, VCSD added parks and recreation services to its responsibilities and expanded its three-member board of directors by two local residents to increase citizen representation. The District built a new fire station and a permanent wastewater treatment plant with 2.5 million gallon-per-day capacity, and a fire chief and plant superintendent were hired to run the new facilities. In 1961, VCSD also established its first user and connection fees, which paid for the sewage treatment plant, reservoirs and pipelines.
The years 1962 to 1965 were a time of great change within the Amador and San Ramon Valleys, and the District responded quickly, adapting its own utility systems to the new demands. During this period VCSD transferred its water system in south San Ramon to the East Bay Municipal Utility District and contracted with the city of Pleasanton to treat that city’s sewage.
VCSD negotiated an agreement in 1963 with Zone 7 of the Alameda County Flood Control and Water Conservation District to supply groundwater and eventually surface water from the California Water Project, an arrangement that continues to serve District water customers today.
More changes came with the District’s second decade. In 1977, it adopted the name by which it is known today-Dublin San Ramon Services District. Fire services shifted from a mostly volunteer crew to a department of paid professionals.
In 1977 the Alameda County Water District objected to the discharge of treated wastewater to Alameda Creek, which provides part of Fremont, Union City and Newark’s water supply. In 1979, with other local agencies, DSRSD established its current system of pumping treated wastewater through pipelines operated by the Livermore Amador Valley Water Management Agency (LAVWMA) and the East Bay Dischargers Authority to San Francisco Bay.
As the community developed, two cities incorporated; the city of Dublin was established in 1982, with the city of San Ramon following in 1983. Working closely with these new cities, the District began an orderly transfer, starting in 1986 with garbage collection and ending in 1988 with the fire department and parks and recreation services.
In 1990, the District Board of Directors reorganized staff, redefined department responsibilities and approved plans for a new administration building. When the building opened in October 1992, for the first time the DSRSD administrative services, planning and permitting staff as well as management employees were able to work under one roof, improving communication and efficiency. For 20 years DSRSD has used recycled water to irrigate the grounds at its wastewater treatment plant. In 1991, after five years of below-average rainfall, DSRSD, in cooperation with the city of Livermore and Zone 7, initiated a study which showed cost-effective recycling of highly treated wastewater was now a possibility for some public uses. Water recycling provides the District with an effective method of managing and preserving water, a precious resource.
For more than 30 years the District’s Board of Directors and staff have been dedicated to the delivery of municipal services to meet the needs of their Dublin and San Ramon customers. As the District provides water and wastewater services.
In 1995, the Dublin San Ramon Services and East Bay Municipal Utility Districts formed a partnership to bring recycled water to the Valley. In 2006, they unveiled a new sand filtration treatment process at the Water Recycling Plant and began providing sand filtered recycled water for irrigation in Dublin and the San Ramon Valley communities: parks, school grounds, golf courses, and roadway medians. As homes were built in the Dougherty Valley, the District’s customer base doubled.
East Bay Regional Park District (EBRPD)
East Bay Regional Park District is a system of beautiful public parks and trails in Alameda and Contra Costa counties. The system encompasses 1,745 square miles on the eastern side of San Francisco Bay. The East Bay Regional Park District, established in 1934, has a fascinating history and an inspiring story.
It began with a vision of far-sighted civic leaders seeking to preserve excess watershed land in the Oakland and Berkeley hills. Their goal was to create a park district as part of the community, one that retained a balance of recreation opportunities and wilderness features, ideas unheard of at the time. Members of a grassroots land preservation movement placed a measure on the ballot. During the depths of the Great Depression it passed by a surprising 71 percent and created the first regional park agency in the nation–the East Bay Regional Park District.
The East Bay Regional Park District (EBRPD) provides regional park and recreation services, and operates golf courses. The boundary of the District is coterminous with both Contra Costa and Alameda counties. Facilities and properties are located throughout Alameda and Contra counties. EBRPD was formed on August 7, 1933 as an independent special district. The District was formed to acquire and maintain regional parkland in Contra Costa and Alameda counties.
The service area for EBRPD includes District regional parklands, East Bay Municipal Utility District (EBMUD) owned lands, the San Francisco Water Department Watershed, the East Shore State Park (owned by the State of California, but operated by EBRPD), and the Middle Harbor and Port View Parks operated by the Port of Oakland.
The EBRPD boundary encompasses a total of 1,745 square miles in both Contra Costa and Alameda counties, according to County Assessor data on acreage of parcels. In Contra Costa County, the boundary land area of the EBRPD is 720 square miles. The District owns or operates 65 regional parks, recreation areas, wilderness, shorelines, preserves and land banks spanning 98,369acres, as of November 2008.
The District has a seven-member governing body. Board members are elected by geographic district to four-year terms. EBRPD also has a Park Advisory Committee made up of 21 citizen-members, appointed by the EBRPD Board of Directors. Advisory Committee members are appointed for two-year terms and may serve a total of four consecutive terms, or eight years.
EBRPD updates constituents through its website, a bimonthly activities newsletter, community outreach programs, and through the Park Advisory Committee. Board meeting agendas and minutes are posted in multiple locations, and on the District’s website. The District also posts other public documents and notifications on its website.
Green Valley Recreation and Park District
Green Valley Recreation and Park District (GVRPD) owns and operates a swimming pool for the Cameo Acres and serves the surrounding areas of Danville and Alamo. GVRPD also offers activities commonly provided at community pools, including swim lessons, a non-competitive swim team, lifeguard training, community and social events.
GVRPD was formed in 1949 as an independent special district. The District was formed to
provide maintenance and recreation services to a swimming pool in the Town of Danville.
Ironhouse Sanitary District
In existence since 1945, Ironhouse Sanitary District (ISD) utilizes a staff of 24 field and office personnel to maintain sanitary services for nearly 30,000 customers in the Oakley and Bethel Island area. The district treats approximately 2 million gallons of wastewater every day at their treatment facility located near Walnut Meadows Drive, north of Highway 4 in Oakley. Reclaimed water is spread on fields ISD owns near the Oakley plant, and on 3,600-acre Jersey Island.
The district’s unique name derives from Ironhouse School, which was a small schoolhouse that once served the families living in the rural area near Hotchkiss Tract. The school served much of the territory that today is encompassed by the sanitary district, so when it came time to select a name for ISD, the Ironhouse moniker seemed a natural fit.
Kensington Police Protection and Community Services District
Kensington Police Protection and Community Services District provides Local law enforcement; parks and recreation; solid waste collection.
Kensington is an unincorporated community of about 2200 homes, located in the East Bay Hills between Berkeley and El Cerrito. Kensington maintains its own police department, as well as park and recreation programs for all ages, via the Kensington Police Protection & Community Services District. The Kensington Fire Protection District provides fire protection and emergency medical services via a contract with El Cerrito.
The Kensington Police Protection and Community Services District is governed by five District Directors. Day to day operations are handled by the Chief of Police who is also the General Manager of the District.
Mt. View Sanitary District
The Mt. View Sanitary District (MVSD) was established in 1923 to provide sewer service to unincorporated areas east of the City of Martinez. The District’s initial sewer system fed into a large community septic tank. In 1951, the District installed primary treatment units to meet the needs of the growing local population. Secondary treatment began in 1968 with the addition of a secondary clarifier, digester, thickener, and a high rate biofilter. The 1970’s brought increased concern from the public for their environment and stricter discharge regulations.
To meet effluent disposal limits outlined by the Regional Water Quality Board in 1974, the District reclaimed valuable wetlands rather than incur the higher cost of constructing a deep water outfall line. As the flows of wastewater to the treatment plant increased, the acreage of the wetlands grew from 21 to 86 acres, and more was acquired as a result of joint management with other agencies for a total of 151 acres of wetlands.
1994 brought the construction of a filtration system and an ultraviolet disinfection system, the first full scale operation in Northern California.
Pleasant Hill Recreation and Park District
Pleasant Hill Recreation and Park District (PHRPD) provides recreation and park services to the City of Pleasant Hill, a portion of the City of Lafayette, and a small portion of the City of Walnut Creek and the unincorporated community of Walden/Contra Costa Centre.
PHRPD was formed on January 22, 1951 as an independent special district. The District was formed to provide recreation and park services to the unincorporated community of Pleasant Hill.
The District’s boundary is located entirely within Contra Costa County, and includes the entirety of the City of Pleasant Hill, in addition to a portion of the City of Lafayette (in the southwest of the District), and a small portion of the City of Walnut Creek and the unincorporated community of Walden/Contra Costa Centre (in the southeast of the District). The boundaries encompass approximately 8.8 square miles, or 5,616 acres.
Pleasant Hill Recreation & Park District serves over 40,000 people within the community, an area about 20% larger than of the City of Pleasant Hill. There are approximately 100,000+ persons who participate in programs, visit District facilities, or volunteer on an annual basis.
The District includes over 269 acres of park land including 11 park sites, two pools, two community center facilities, a senior center complex, a cultural center, an historic site, trails, and open space areas. During the year the District offers over 2,300 enrichment classes, programs, activities, and sponsors numerous clubs and organizations.
Reclamation District 800
For nearly a century, Reclamation District 800 has been the trusted source of flood protection for the Byron Tract, including the community of Discovery Bay. Our levee system, like our community, is one-of-a-kind. We don’t quite conform, and that’s what makes us special. Reclamation District 800 has been the trusted source of flood protection for the Byron Tract, including the community of Discovery Bay.
In 1909, the West-Wilhoit Company petitioned Contra Costa County to form a reclamation district. In its petition, the company included lands bounded by Italian Slough on the south, Old River on the east and Indian Slough on the north. Approval of this petition formed the bulk of Reclamation District 800 as we know it today.
You’ll find us in Contra Costa County, approximately 20 miles west of Stockton and 60 miles east of San Francisco. The land is bordered by the Italian Slough on the south, Old River on the east and Indian Slough on the north. Portions of Highway 4 are within our boundaries.
Our levees provide the backbone for the state’s largest inland marina and act as a gateway to the Sac/San Joaquin Delta – a recreational playground for boaters and sport fishers, among others.
Our quality of life – most especially our safety – depends upon the strength of our levees.
Reclamation District 800 is responsible for the operation and maintenance of nearly 19 miles of levees protecting 7,000 acres of agricultural, urban, commercial and industrial land in Byron Tract. Our levees protect more than 3,600 agricultural and residential properties – and many thousands of lives – from flooding. That protection doesn’t happen by chance. It requires ongoing maintenance, improvements and repairs. That’s our job.
We’re vigilant about improving and maintaining our levees. We’re also fiercely protective of our great quality of life. After all, we want to keep river waters where we can enjoy them – in the river.
Reclamation District 800 is responsible for the operation and maintenance of nearly 19 miles of levees protecting 7,000 acres of agricultural, urban, commercial and industrial land in Byron Tract [service area map]. Activities include:
- Providing flood protection for 3,600 properties
- Inspecting levees for areas that need improvements or repairs
- Evaluating levees to ensure they meet state and federal guidelines for a minimum of 100-year flood protection
- Supervising design and construction of levee improvements or repairs
- Providing residents with information about flood insurance and emergency preparedness
- Managing drainage and water circulation within Discovery Bay’s lakes and lagoons
- Reviewing residential/commercial construction on and around levees and slopes
Property owners within the District’s service area pay a modest annual assessment for these services. They also elect a five-member Board of Trustees to manage the district’s approximately $1 million annual operating budget. The budget is funded through assessments, property taxes and reimbursements from the State.
Rollingwood-Wilart Park Recreation and Park District
Rollingwood-Wilart Park Recreation and Park District (RWPRPD) operates and maintains a recreation center for recreation programs and community events. RWPRPD was formed on October 29, 1956 as an independent special district. The District was formed to operate and maintain the Rollingwood Recreation Center
Stege Sanitary District
The Stege Sanitary District was originally formed in 1913 to provide public health services to a then lightly populated area of southwest Contra Costa County. The District provides sanitary sewer services to Kensington, El Cerrito, and a portion of Richmond known as the Richmond Annex.
The District currently operates and maintains 150 miles of sanitary sewers and two pumping stations, serving over 40,000 residents residing within the District boundaries. Wastewater treatment and disposal services are provided by East Bay Municipal Utility District, Special District No. 1.
Top of Page