Your Voice in the Capitol
CSDA is the one association that provides a strong voice for all independent special districts in California.
- Legislative Advocacy– CSDA is the only voice in the Capitol that represents and fights for all California special districts, regardless of services provided or affiliation with other organizations. CSDA’s legislative advocate and in-house legislative staff review and monitor every bill introduced into legislation for its potential impact on California’s special districts.
- Influence – CSDA participates in a number of coalitions and working groups to ensure that special districts have a strong voice in state and local government decision making.
- Revenue Protection – CSDA works hard each year to defeat attempts to raid special district revenues.
- Weekly Legislative Updates – CSDA keeps you informed by sending out crucial legislative updates on a weekly basis via the CSDA e-News.
- Legislative Committee – CSDA’s Legislative Committee members represent a wide variety of district types and sizes.
- Special Districts Legislative Days – CSDA’s annual Special Districts Legislative Days provides updated information on legislation and public policy as well as coordinates legislative visits for your board and staff.
Cost Saving Programs
- CSDA Finance Corporation – Tax-Exempt Municipal Financing
- Special District Risk Management Authority – Workers’ Compensation, Property & Liability and Health Coverages
Stay Connected & Informed
CSDA provides a myriad of benefits to help your special district stay apprised of the issues and changes affecting your district.
- California Special District magazine – CSDA’s bi-monthly magazine, California Special District, helps keep your district informed with the most current news from across the state. Feature articles in the magazine offer critical information regarding and affecting special districts.
- CSDA e-News – CSDA’s weekly email publication keeps your special district up-to-date with weekly legislative updates, current CSDA educational offerings, and other time sensitive material important to your district’s operations.
- CSDA Website and Members Section – CSDA’s Members Section website houses tools and information useful to any and every special district. Features include:
- Daily updates of special district news from across the state, tailored to your district
- Direct contact information for YOUR legislators
- Comprehensive legislative information that affects your district
- A customized system that allows Calls to Action on legislation to appear only if they apply to your district
- Pending bills, legislation and CSDA’s current bill positions
- Local contact information for media representatives in your region
- Membership tools allowing you to register for events, order publications and update your district information
- And much, much more!
- Listserv – CSDA’s email Listserv provides a convenient, fast and easy way for CSDA members to discuss issues of importance to special districts, share relevant information, and get answers to questions from those most qualified to answer: people who have been through the same experiences.
Educate your Board and Staff
CSDA is the only association that offers educational opportunities designed specifically for independent districts of all sizes and types.
- Special District Leadership Academy (SDLA) – CSDA’s Leadership Academy is the recognized leader in governance training for district directors and trustees, endorsed by eight other special district associations. Special District Leadership Academy Courses are available as standalone modules or over the course of one two and a half day conference.
- Special District Board Secretary/Clerk Conference – Offers premiere training for board secretaries and clerks. First time attendees can earn their Special District Board Secretary/Clerk Certificate and attendees are encouraged to come back year after year for exciting new breakout sessions tailored to the board secretary/clerk position.
- General Manager Leadership Summit – a leadership conference for general managers and other management staff in special districts that occurs each summer. Attendees are able to access sessions that offer specific information & content to your position and network with others that hold your same position and take home ideas that you can immediately apply to your district.
- Annual Conference & Exhibitor Showcase – Each fall CSDA brings together leading subject and policy experts, business partners and vendors for three days of educational and networking opportunities for board members and staff.
- Board Member Training – CSDA offers this unique workshop designed by special districts for special districts to provide both the new and seasoned board member a solid understanding of the role of a board member and the laws by which a board member must abide.
- Webinars – CSDA offers over 30 webinars each year, some at no charge, that provide you and your district easy access to the best in special districts education right at your desk.
- Workshops – CSDA offers training throughout California designed to enhance the knowledge-base of your district’s directors and staff.
Enhanced Benefits & Services
- Bookstore discounts – CSDA members receive significant savings on various publications offered through CSDA’s Bookstore. Some of these publications include:
- CSDA Sample Policy Handbook
- Open & Public IV – A User’s Guide to the Ralph M. Brown Act
- Special District Administrative Salary & Benefits Survey
- A Local Officials Reference on Ethics Laws
- Everyday Ethics for Local Officials
- Special District Reserve Guidelines
- Free Legal Advice – CSDA offers each member one hour of free legal advice each year to help in resolving any legal issue or question. CSDA’s legal counsel has been representing special districts for many years and is well versed in helping special districts in a variety of areas.
- Hardworking & Dedicated Staff – CSDA’s staff are fully motivated and working hard every day of the week to represent you and ensure your success as a special district. CSDA’s staff is focused on member services; we’re here for you!